Saturday, November 20, 2004

"There are no permanent friends, only permanent interests."Comment.

I do not agree with this statement. Friendship is made not because for one's interest. We make friends because we want to find a person to share happiness with us or to talk to whenever we have any sorrows. We make friends to reflect upon ourselves, to find the real soul in us.

I disagree that there are no permanent friends in our life. Though friends may be just passer-bys in our life route, they are the ones who have great impacts on us. They bring us joy and laughter, sorrows and sadness, most, in our everday's life. Have you ever been teased by your friends?Or have your friends ever told you a joke that made you laugh till you face went red? Whether the answer is yes or no, it does not make a difference because whatever memories we have with them will forever be etched in our minds. They will thus be our 'permanent' friends. There are still certain cases where there are really permanent friends that walk one along the life. Our parents and siblings, are life examples. They have been with us since our births.Usually we will say out or tell our troubles to our kin ones and they will always be the ones there to support us. Furthermore, with their guidance we can at all times reflect upon our actions. From the above examples, our kin ones can already be seen as friends to us.

I, myself, have one example. I am still in contact with my primary school friends and teachers. They have since been one of my support holding me on till now. Whatever great or sad things I have, I will tell them and ask for opinions and suggestions, vice versa. I would rather say that they are my permanent friends, friends that are worthy of, than to say that our friendship is due to each other's permanent interest that we are able to earn from.

I have no doubts that some people make friends for one's permanent interest. They use friends to gain votes for sympathy, or even their friends' innocence to sabotage others. However, how long can one make friends for permanent gains? Friends pass by and go every now and then. No matter how many friends one makes, will one be able to gain any permanent interests from each friend? Perhaps, permanent interests in this lifetime, yes. But when these friends know that one is using them for interest sake while they treated him as a true friend, he will then get neither permanent interests nor permanent friends in his lifetime. Therefore, in such cases, I feel that these people will get either temporary interests or no interest.

Amazingly, in other cases, these so-called friends made use of each other to gain interests. However they can still be friends for life. Though they can attain both permanent friends and interests, their friendship may be fake.

Friendship is pure when we treat each other truefully and think nothing about interests. Though I feel that friendship should not be made for one's interest, there are still people in the world who think that friends should be made use of. What I can say is when one is trueful to another friend, one is then worthy enough to be another's friend. Don't you think so?

No comments: